Wednesday, July 26, 2006

This is the day I've been waiting for.
The mountain bike race.
So we're told we have to be there by 8 am. We are. we are the first,not a soul in sight. People trickle in. Turns out the course isn't even marked yet. More riders come in. More disorganization. But, I know what it takes to put on a race. So I roll with it. I'm approached to do an interview for Sirius radio......on the "Older athlete". Ok cool.
So the plan is race from the front like all year. we line up for the start and I ring my bell ala single speed. This gets a quick "You have a bell,a bell on your bike?" Ding Ding ,sure do and only one gear too. So I'm the only One gear queer here.
Off goes the gun I take the start a down hill start one guy passes me at the trailhead I tuck in behind we are flying. Now it gets weird. We hit an intersectio flat out and there's yellow tape on the right he turns I turn,still flat out we go down this trail only to realize this isn't right. We turn and race up the hill. I'm thinking. Damn it the whole field is way ahead, my day is shot. But then I remind myself I didn't come to lose. We start to catch a few stragglers. The the freight train starts of about 6 riders in front of us. I debate about stuffing them all in one turn but the trail opens up. We're now on one of the many road/double tracks. Legs and gear are spun out. We catch a few more riders in the next section of single track. I hear one say. "Holy Shit those guys are now second and third". I'm thinking no way. We break into the grove. Bob tells me I'm in third..Seems as though we had quite a lead before our blunder. Crazy. I end up third overall. Turns out second was in my age group. Damn. But the first medal. After the medals we get interviewed by Logo Tv. My next 15 minutes of fame.

1 comment:

Your Friendly Neighborhood HR Dude said...

congrats. very good reading.