Wednesday, July 26, 2006


Escape from the South Side
So I cruise through registration and a metro pass is part of it. With directions in hand we board the red line and head to the Biker Bash to support the Chicago Bicycle Federation. 300 people at a brewery ought to be a good time.
We depart the train for the Walk to 100 Fulton St. The first couple blocks are sketchy. Then it's just gets worse. Crumbling buildings. I keep reminding myself . "It's at the brewery,not the pub" as it said on the tickets. Well not industry in sight and just poverty. I approach a pair of local ladies. Who now appear to have all sorts of chemicals and alcohol coursing through their veins. One has a drink and a smoke. My magnet for the weird reeled them in faster thean I could let the line out. "Baby yuz need to take da bus to Washton to,blah ,blah." As she dances to the music in her head. Her friend is trying to get the cigarette. Ok,thanks. We head North. I go in a Barbeque take out place to ask directions and get the look of. You must be one crazy ass white boy to come in here. I step to the counter and ask about Fulton. Silence. I take my cue and bow out the door. So we make it back to the train and go a few blocks North ahh Fulton except 2800 not 1800. So back on the train the map says the 1600's are one stop back. Ok cool . BUT we get off and it's 300. I've had enough and get a cab. Four,Four blocks later we're there. How does that work? Any ways the Bash,seemed to be friends of the Mayor or something. No cyclists in sight just the PIBS People in black with their Prada and Gucci. So we had a few beers. Not that great, the food was interesting. Then split the pic is off our escape. As we met people from Chicago later in the week, they said you went there??? Meaning the South side. Yes we did and walked out alive.

No comments: