Wednesday, July 12, 2006


Bad Blood? Where's second and third?
I did my first NORBA race in years

The Dark Horse Gallop in Stewart.

Fast,fast,fast bermed single track with drop offs,short climbs a bit of road. FAST.

At the line the others were already congratulating the guy who was leading the Series. He looked fit and eyed me warily. The asked a few ?'s. Where are you from? Race much ? Hmmm a single speed.what gear?

So the bell goes off I lead the start he sort of stuffs me in the first turn,but I figure,Hey local knowledge of the trail. I sit 6 feet behind. He keeps looking back,his first mistake. I show him a wheel now and then. Then we come out to a long dirt road section, I get on his wheel, draft,it starts to ease uphill I have my gear back, attack him. Just catch the remnants of the 40-49 group. Try to get mixed in and through them as fast as possible. Then I'm by myself. Now it's race the course. Lots of passing. Lap two all alone no one has passed me. I ride through the blown riders (do some of these people even train?). Thr Carver 96'er is flowing. I love this bike telepathic. Maybe I'll name it Yoda.

Find Bob, Janet and Bill at the finish. Wait,for second to come in. People are congratulating him on another win. He says he didn't win and points to me and says that guy on the single speed did. He is not a happy man.

So I go to USA cycling and check the second place guys results. He hasn't lost a race this year.

So I got a medal for my efforts. No swag,nothing. Somebody made a bundle 400 riders 25/30 bucks a head.




Bad Blood?

No comments: