Sunday, October 01, 2006

As Tina Turner would say "Welcome to Thunderdome"
Today was the first race of the CNY Cross series. I awoke to a heavy down pour. Ahh the perfect start for cross. But it wasn't raining by the time I got up. The plan was to meet Mike and Pops at the fire station and drive up together. The skies cleared a bit on the way over. Glenn greeted us at the "Swandrome" and told us the course was in great shape. A practice lap confirmed that. So we warmed up and got ready for race. Off we went. I didn't feel great on the first climb and dropped a couple places but new most of the Masters were behind me. Spokepost.com owner Matt Howey took a hard header in front of me and I almost split him in half,but avoided him. Then Glenn and Ernie tag teamed me. So the chase was on. Mike got a good start and was up front. I knew I was top ten overall and had to find my rhythm. We started lapping on lap 4. Then a couple guys started to hound me. I hung in there as the laps closed one got by then the other. I passed him back. Opened a bit of breathing room. Then he came back on the last lap and got me. Damn,they were both Masters I didn't recognize. I ended up 6th in the 40+. Mike was 6th in Open Men. Bob took some good pics for us.
Then it was hit Ithaca for the Apple Fest. We got the full experience,hippe chick, panhandlers, Cornell kids and the usual Commons crowd. Wnated some ice cream and apple crisp,but the line was too long. So we headed home for Audrey's home made pie. Instaed we had some cobbler. Yum
Got the bike washed and everything ready for Tuesday. I've got some CX work to do. Looks like we'll get two good days of CX practice this week this week. The bed of truth is open.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Karl. You've always got to get the food in there somewhere! I'm still watching! CarlFLT