Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Time Trial Chamlionships and a Wine Tasting Party.
Our local bike clubs TT Championships were last night. It had rained all day and was still misting at the start. 19 Riders showed up instead of the usual 40. I'd made up my mind that I would do this TT like a mountain bike. I haven't really had my head into TT's this year so my performances have been so-so. Then Llyod pointed a finger at me and "Said I'm gunning for you!" He'd had personal bests in a row and has beat me on a couple flat ones this year,while I was mentally grocery shopping or whatever my A.D.D was up to. Now this course is one of my favorites. 6 miles of flat,4 miles of up, then 10 of rollers. Long story short. Todd and Pat motored by on the flat that was ok. They've been killing it all year. This race is about the hill and the rollers. Sure enough one by one you start picking off the early starters on the long climb. Through the mist I could see yellow jerseys. Llyod. I caught two,not him. Inspite of the rain I hit 46 on the downhill(instead of 50) carried alot of speed through the turn(thanks to our volunteers) and buried the 12. Another yellow jersey,still not him. Then the rabbit came into focus. Turns out I was what he needed to get that motivation back as I passed and pulled away.. He set another personal best and was fourth overall proving the old dog could still TT. Despite a killer headache Henk gave it his usual all.
We capped off the night with with some leftover beers from the party,pickles and chips. A comment was made"I can't believe i'm seeing roadies drinking beer. Henk's reply was "That's because the mountain/cross guy brought them".
Now tonight Cliff is hosting a wine tasting for us. This will be fun. The never ending 50th party!
Road Race championships Thursday!

No comments: