Monday, August 07, 2006



The Irony of Highland Forest.

I returned to race at Highland Forest after 12 years away. It was the second muddiest race of the year. My field had some horsepower. With Empire States Gold Medalist Ernie Bayles in attendance and his Ithaca posse of honches. Plus a fast guy from Utica. They were starting the 40 and 50+ together. So I moved to the front of the line. It was a long gravel road to double track start. These always get me nervous as I figure some hammer like Ernie can TT right on by the OGQ. But the plan was to pull a McGrath. To you non-moto heads. That's get the holeshot,runaway and hide. It worked. Some guy passed me for about 30 feet. 34x18 was a bit tall for all the climbing. But it worked out. My time was third fastest of the day in all age groups. I won a Shimano XT rear derailleur for my efforts. Kind of wasted on the one gear queer. So it will be for sale. Dan debuted the Dean and had a good time in the mud. The day was capped off with Doug's Fish Fry and ice cream. YUM. We got a pint glass at the race too. It will be filled with a fine Belgian beer to toast Jens.
The other pic is Jens Voight my cycling hero. Jens is now leading the Tour of Germany.

2 comments:

dfwteddy1955@yahoo.com said...

Congrats on the win! Sounds like you could teach a thing or two to the young riders. Seeing the balloons, too, makes me think of the Plano Balloon Festival... haven't been in years... maybe I should be on the lookout for it.

Your Friendly Neighborhood HR Dude said...

ha, ha, ha...
great job, single speeder wins a derailer... too funny

respect
fm