Wednesday, August 02, 2006












Closing ceremonies and more new friends.
So we have this train thing figured out and head up to the closing ceremonies. It's hot out ,really hot. But now they have it figured out,water,snacks and portajohns,clean ones. So Bob and I make a plan where to meet after. As I get to march onto Wrigley field with 10000 or so others. I mill around, all my team mates have left. I see Rich and Jeff and we march in together. It was pretty cool. This is the second time I've been on a stadium floor. The first was a at a Supercross In Pittsburgh in 1978. The closing ceremoies had some fun acts. The gun twirling baton group. The DC cowboys. Cyndi Lauper was fun,even with the bad sound.
The mayor of Cologne got a little out of hand. She really got worked up and it just got silly. I was glad I went.
We found Bob easily ,he started his exit while the Mayor was ranting.
Off to Boystown for drinks,food and fun. With our great chicago guides who took us to some fun bars for drinks and conversation. We headed to Yoshis. A french restuarant run by a japanese couple. The waiter cried that I got a gold medal. He was really emotional. I had a Kobe beef hamburger with wasabi cheese mango ketchup. It was incredible. I know a burger? I wasn't real hungry. Oh and the tuna tartare appetizer was amazing. I'm spoiled. Nothing like that in B-Town. I don't even know where to get a good burger here. Cliff had sushi. Bob had a chicken dish. I can't remember what Rich had.Sorry. But it all looked and smelled amazing.
Cliff had the right spirit to get into racing. One of the games mottos was. Your personal best! It's not if you win or lose. You did your personal best.
He was like "Screw that I trained hard. I came into this and expected results". It was his first race. Cliff welcome to cycling. Wait till you license and race masters with former Olympians,pros ,cat 2's and other guys that are really good. Stick with it. It's a beautiful but humbling sport. Then for a real tatse of the sickness try a cyclocross race. You'll need another bike then two for cross. But by God it will make you strong and teach you how to suffer. Hope to see you guys again soon and stay in touch.

No comments: