Monday, October 01, 2007






So you're thinking what do kards have to do with Kross? Bobber graciously taught the rag tag bunch of us how to play Texas Hold'em saturday night. The game started out just like my first Kross race. I couldn't get a break. Nothing. I get face cards,2 and 3's would turn up. Then near the end it happened I was running out of money. Bang a pair of Aces. I played it hard. Just like the last two laps of a kross race. I won big,then won again. Played smart and it was down to two of us. I had the option of all in. I took it. Read'em and weep. No two to you or toodle -loo. Venus and I threw down.I pulled a straight and it was winner take all. Perhaps beginners luck? A win is a win. A number of fine ales gave their lives for this event.

Sunday came sunny and clear for the Swandrome. Usually it's subfreezing at this race. The course was groomed and fast. It demanded you stay off the brakes and on the gas. We had top ten call ups. I'm on the front row and holeshot the first turn. Some guy on a MTB sneaks by. Jeff augers trying to pass. No Ernie or Glenn yet. I can do this. I've been here before. They get past in the uphill. I think OK hang on,they've been racing all summer. I catch and pass Jeff, we go back and forth. Then I have my "bad lap" he gets a gap. Paul is closing. He's had a great summer.

Third in the Mid Atlantic 50+ Expert. I'm not going to give this up. The leaders of Open men come through. I'm determined to hang with them. I get half a lap. Riding the ragged edge. Gives me the gap I need. With Ernies mechanical I get fourth. Mission accomplished. I did better than the week before. Much better. I'm starting to feel like me. The double at Cuse" is in two weeks.

The other Kingdom Krossers rode well.

Ommegang race this weekend. Course sorcery on saturday. I'll be a busy man.

We then took a boat ride in the "Kids" boat. Blue skies, the leaves turning, sun on my face. Lunch at O'Malleys a fine panini and nice wheat beer.

I am the luckiest man alive. Enjoy life. OGQ

No comments: