Monday, October 15, 2007

Sunday was the SyraKuse Gran Prix. This when I do double. The morning dawned cool and wet.
Our first real Kross weather? But off to the west a blue hole appeared. The weather got batter as we got closer. But I still needed an undershirt and armwarmers.
The course had a few changes and their killer sand run-up. Some mud and gravel.
Call ups keep me on the front row. I line up next to Glenn. My teammate Gregg rips a killer holeshot with me in tow. The diesel isn't ready,but the mind is willing. I cling to the top 5. This is some serious horsepower. Chris Tirone has returned with a serious carbon Ridley Kross rig.
Back and forth as riders slip forward and backward. Suddenly I'm fighting for 8th through 12th. Come on legs. So I tuck in and try to rest a bit and see where who's stronger and or where I'm weaker. Two laps aof shuffling covering attacks. But I figure out when to go and move into positon just before the corkscrew hill turn. Power up it and hit the road ,I have a gap. Slowly it grows. I begin to gain on Gregg. Then he heads for the pit. With a crank arm dangling from his foot. Bummer for him. This opens the gap more. I can do this. 5th place. Turns out this moves me into 2nd in the series. Consistency pays off here. Chris even laid the hurt on Glenn. OUCH.
Race two. I try to suck down the recovery drink and a gel before the start. I'm on row two.
So so start. But in this group alot of guys go aout way to fast for themselves,then blow and fall back. I'm in this race for training. Long story short with 3 to go I un out of gas and begin tearing out the lining of the suitcase of courage. A lowly 37th out of 56. But the doulble always makes me stronger!
Now for the food part. Empire Brewing has re-opened. Hurray. Good beer and good food returns. I had fish tacos a hefeweizen and then a Black Magic Stout. MMMM beer.
The Ithaca Kross Mafia was there too. They want to know how to join the Ommegang team.
If they jump ship we'll have the dominant Kross team.
So this will be a rest week for training.
Enjoy life. OGQ

Blogger is being grumpy about pics,sorry.

No comments: