Monday, October 08, 2007



This was the team weekend. Mills and I headed to Ommegang to help set up the course. I was in charge of the front section and Jeff helped. It had my "signature" on it. We made a road start that followed the curve of the brewery. Then tied into the course. Out back we decided to have the riders u-turn in the big tent for that Belgian flair and help the scorers. In the end the course was technical in the front and big power loop in the back.

Sunday dawned misty and warm for the drive up. A few touches to the course,straighten up some loose ends and calm Gregg's nerves. Bobber rescued the day with his mastery of scoring. As I suited up it started rain lightly. Hmmm.

The bikes had the muds on and slightly higher pressures to offset the possibility of pinch flats on the bumpy course. Rain stpped. Time to race.

The masters,Jrs and women went off first. Some Jr took the holeshot sprinting out of saddle for three turns then augered himself into the ground. Then the SS guy and I took off. Chuck vame by on the climb,then some Kelly guy. But the game was on. I was better in the front. But it just stayed the same. Felt good in the end. Hemmed and hawed about doing two races. Then did. I told Tami I wanted beer on the second lap. My plan was to just go ride the second race. No bury myself in the red. There she was on lap two. I took the handup. The announcer Rob picked up on it with the "King is taking on the sponsors product". So it went a beer, a lap. Then they handed my a full Witte. Rob was announcing each flavor on hand up. I couldn't waste it so I rode around in circles,then took off. The odd thing of all this was I was still in the top half of the race.

The line of the day was when we had three Ommegansters in a train and Rob says "Here come the Three Philosophers" . (After the Ommegang of that name). That was pretty funny.

Phil crashed in front of me and I said "Gangsta down!" that cracked him up. I'd had it at 3 to go. Probably could have finished. But I wanted to get some cheering in too.

Larry really kicked down the prizes for the races. People were buying product left and right.

We had live music. People settled in and had picnics. What a day! Sunshine a tough race and great beer.


Here's what to do with your Ommegang corks.


Enjoy life. OGQ


Some more pics at http://www.centralnycycling.com/ some videos too of the beer handups.




No comments: