Wednesday, November 14, 2007









Sunday I awoke to a true Kross morning. Cold with a heavy frost. This usually means hard fast ground early. Then turns to slop. Kross.


Now today was special. It was the second time for the Dave Panella Memorial. I tried to get my head into the "wayback machine". When last year I went pedal stroke for pedal stroke with Glenn Swan for the win in horrible conditions. My legs had given good signals after last weeks failure. As I drove up the hill to the course. I broke out of the fog to find a bright sunny sky. Henk already had the Ommegang banners flying and Mikey was flagging the course. I looked at that clear blue and smiled. It would all pull together. That blue sky was a big as Dave's smile.


Today I would ride well. Mike added a new moto x section to the course and the X. A spiral to keep all happy. I suited up for a couple easy laps. The armada of NY Kross Kontingent had things in order. Riders showed interest in the Dillinger up for grabs in the raffle. Hey, Who would't mind a free frame? Rob Coapman showed up to announce. The pieces continued to fall into place.


Time to race. We had a moment of respect for Dave. Then call ups. I heard Glenn say. "Let Karl lead,he'll be suicidal on the opening lap." I took the holeshot with Glenn and Ernie hot on my tail. I knew Glenn was watching lines. He attacked on the uphill but this pushed the others wide and tucked in underneath to regain the lead heading into my house. Pure moto. I let those michelins drift and turned up the gas. Careful not to redline. Almost lead the whole lap. Slowly the series leaders came by. I hung tough. Rich has been riding great. he got a bit of a gap. Then the diesel turned on. My head was in the game all day. gain in the technical. try to power away then. I drilled it hard in the mower section heading into the telephone pole turn. OOHHH Houston we have a problem. Down I went at speed on the leg. tumble into the grass bike still attached. Now like a turtle I'm downhill trying to get loose. Thinking about the leg. but thinking about the race. I get untangled and Dave hasn't closed. But Rich has a full straightaway on me.


I feel good an give chase two to go. I end up 6Th. One shy of the goal 5Th or better. I had a good ride. Again I look to take blue sky and smile at Dave. I'd done my best.




I grabbed some hot veggie chili and Middle Ages tenth anniversary Ale and went out and heckled the open men. The PA was buzzing as Rob kept us entertained. More chili,more beer.




After the open men. We had the raffle while series webmaster Steve update the points and scoring. Dawn and Bobber nailed the scoring with super fast results. First we gave out the beer. Then Ommegang apparel. Then DPM wear. it seemed the team and the Kross Kontingent were mopping up as were the Walkers. In the end Peter Ozolins went home with the frame.


Some people even picked up the flags and the course while all this was going on. Thanks.


Not sure of the final count donated to Kim. But people bought tickets right up to the end.


I was elated and tired. People asked to join the team. That's cool.




Bobber and Dawn came over for a beer and Mike D tasted some new brews with us.


What a weekend. I am the luckiest man alive.




The confidence is up for States. Legs were great on the road last night.


Can't wait to ride the Dillinger at Shindagin.




Enjoy life. OGQ




Some pics from Greene DPM later


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

True friend to Dave - he was lucky to have you in his life... as we all are! HUGS James