Monday, May 14, 2007

So Bobber (of the last post golf shirt fame) and I headed down to Bob W's to ride the Quad County ride. Part of the shifting focus of my riding. I talked of carrying the camera and taking pics, put the racer in me aside. HA!
Bob W would be doing his first organized ride. He made us proud. Way to go.
Bobber signed up for the 45 mile loop. I signed up for the 45 with the ICU (intensive climbing unit,that added 8 miles and 1200 ft of climbing. Registration ran smooth. We suited up and rolled out. Bob W went left. We went right. We spun along together to the first climb. Bobber said go ahead. See you at the finish. At mile thirteen the road went left for the ICU. I was the only one turning. A couple stair steps and then a sweet descent. Swoopy on new pavement. A sign said 7% for next 3/8ths mile. Back up I went. The climbs were long. Not really steep. My kind of climbs. I passed numerous people. Many with their triples spinning crazy cadences and going nowhere fast. So despite the fact they had almost a 1000 riders,I rode most of it alone.
At the turn for the 65 and 45 I almost went for the 65 which would have been 73 with the ICU.
But I stuck to the plan. The legs felt good and I decided to go hard for the next 16 miles. If I blew up, so be it. Well the road was a constant series of big ring rollers. The TT motor was firing on all eight and I motored. Then Bobber came into sight. I saw him get on a group of two and start to pace line. I caught them slapped Bob an the back and rolled. Felt strong all the way in.
Went by the truck and Bob W had just finished. So I sun out and went back to get Bobber he was on the road in and almost home. So we cahnged had the lunch provided and headed back to Bob's.

We took Bob to the Drafting Room. A great beer pub with amazing food. I had Wahoo with star fruit and mango salsa with sweet potatoes. Bobber had Jambalaya, Bob had corn,black bean and serrano ravioli. We enjoyed some nice Belgian ales. I had a cask conditioned Hop Devil for the second Bob had a Sunshine nectar and Bobber a Penn Weis. YUMO as Rachael says.
Off to Borders for a coffee and dessert. Read all the magazines.

In all a great day. Bobber had to get home for Mothers Day. I didn't eat the chocolates he got for Tish en route home.
Yes I called my Mom.

I'm looking forward to the circuit race tomorrow and see how the legs do.

Enjoy life. OGQ

No comments: