Sunday, December 24, 2006



So we drove up to RI in pleasant weather. Everything was going according to plan. Rolled into town early,got unpacked. Hit the trainer and did the workout. Showered and took a walk. Had some dinner at Union Staion Brewery, Tasty. Then back to pick up the numbers. Very organized. Ran into lots of people. The Delaware Cross Crew many sporting the new coifs or facial hair.Off to bed with dreams of a great ride tomorrow.

Made the pre race meal in the room,suited up and headed out. Found the best pit in the venue and got ready for some pre ride then warm up. I tucked in behind three of the best in the country, Paul Curley,Scott Wade and Tom Stevens. They fanned out the breadth of the course and would discuss lines through each corner. After tw0 laps of survey they cranked up the speed and I flowed behind them. Not race pace but enough to get your feel for traction and lines. Off to the trainer, a few minutes spin and head to the staging area. We're well covered with help.

All set the gun goes off, a top twenty start. Not the best legs,but they don't feel dead. Mike Connair comes by. It's a sea of riders. Legs are coming around with three to go. punch it hard up te pavement. The diesel has fired up. Coming up on one of the pavement/ dirt transitions.

His front wheel crabs under and we both go down. Now I know on impact I'm not getting up. I've never hit like that,even on the motorcycle. He asks if I'm OK. The orld is spinning now. I roll to my back. Riders yelling at me. I'm up on my elbows the medics are there. I can't move my leg. They tell me on three they're going to move me. Near black out from the pain. Now i'm being prepped for the board. Please don't drop me. I'm in the ambulance. Paul has arrived is telling me it's all being taken care of. I worm out of the skinsuit and they pull it off. Naked except for my undershirt hey start to try to get IV's going. The guy can't hit my veins. So it's more pain. Off we go to Roger Williams Medical Center. Emily and Diane have brought Bob. What a team I have. he lady asks we what are your possesions? Uhhh my undershirt a watch and glasses. Yup that would be me naked homeless guy from the park. We look at the wound.

Pretty lame. Emily and Diane have to get back. They have Fatmarcs race kit. The usual ER weirdness closes in around me.
That seemingly little brush burn has netted me a femur broken in three places. Snapped the head off and the two parts that hold the muscle on. Surgery tomorrow I'm told. Tom McD is in charge of the car. Seems the crew has never seen the Jetta City only my truck. Takes them awhile to find it. Then unravels it's mysteries to operate it. Tom is not happy with my vehicle.
But it's cool he and Leo drop by.

No comments: