Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Just like the Fred Eaglesmith song the I keep rolling along.
This weekend was the NYS Cyclocross Championships. Drove up the night before to check out the course. It was basically a road course with mud thrown in and then the "fitness trail" which was 6-8 inches of mud and would chips. Rideable but faster to run. Were the ground was harder you couldn't rest because it was only place you could go fast. There were two steep run-ups of 150-175 meters. No techincal skills were needed. A strong road rider could have hung on and stumbled through the mud. The course promoter did the best he could with all the constrictions the park put on him. Everything else was superbly run,except the usual USCF bumbling with results.
They ran all the masters together 35/45/55. No staging just get in. We had some horsepower there. Norba champ Scott Wade, former Elite mens champ Jan Wiejak, some road pro and Andy Ruiz. Andy tore the start up. I sttled in to the first group,but couldn't hold that pace. I knew one 45 got up there and the diesel wasn't fully warmed yet. So kept it below redline and focused on the guy ahead. With three to go I had brought back the 45+ guy. I was faster in the skatey sections so caught and passed him there. Then attacked hard. Put my head down and caught another guy. Now everyman was the enemy. A Joe's garage tagged onto me and sat on,then out sprinted me to the finish. I can't sprint so save my life. But he was in the 35+. I thought I was at least top ten overall. Went back and changed, ate a bit to recover for the SS race. Went back over to watch. Results took forever. Then I saw them. 1st in the 45+ 13th overall.
I'd put 25 seconds on second. I was pumped. Time for the Open SS race .
A couple Elite men doubled and most of us had already raced. The promoter was riding a sweet Viscious Cycles disc braked SS cross rig. He tore it up. I settled in 4th dogging third then got him on the run up. Then it was maintain. First and second were gone. So for my efforts I got two medals a championship jersey and cool cowbell painted by the HS kids.
There was a ton of chili and a local micro beer. But that was all gone by the time the SS race was done. In the nd I was ahappy man. I repeated as 45+ Champ. The NY Kross Kontingent from Central Ny did well with quite a few podium spots.
The legs are whipped and it will two days of recovery maybe three as today I have to be a pall bearer for a friends Mom. He's going through some rough times and this was a hit to him. So my wobbly legs and sore joints are nothing.
The Pa. State Championships are a C race for me. Just keep racing and keep the form. This is a rest week then build for Nats.
I like trains, I like faaaast trains. See you in Pa.OGQ

No comments: