Monday, November 13, 2006

I'm not a Gambling Man, But........Today was the series final. The first Dave Panella Memorial Cross in memeory of Dave who left us one this day one year ago. Now last year on this weekend. I gambled it all in Warsaw and came out on top.
Firts in series, Masters 40+ State Champ, and the omnium champ. I even got to point to the sky ala Lance at the finish.
So this weekend was special. I was 5th in the points coming into this race. Being course designer gave me the home field advantage. This would mean I would need a top three start and have to lead into the lawn mower section to get a gap. I spun at the start trying so hard. Hit the first turn in second with my nemesis right in fron of me. I dspatched him in the next turn and jammed the zigzags,then turned it up for the mower section. Now in the wet is where the gambling came into play.
Two wheel drifts and some creative lines let me open a gap on the field. Glenn Sawn joined me soon in the open before the spiral. We worked together to the "Choice" he said you go right I'll go left. My measuring worked out we came out the same. The decided the downhill was faster and took it every lap. We each had sections that we were faster in. Glen said I scared him in the mower section. But he was better in the power section by the pond. I had him on the run ups due to longer legs. Our gap continued to open. Cowbells clanging. The Kingdom of Kross cheeering us on. It came down to a lap to go.
We pored it on up the road dead even into the zigzags I had a wheel and held it. The win vaulted me into third in the series.
Warming up on the SS rig It hit the pavement.
Again local knowledge paid off as Mike K took the holeshot and lead through the mower section. I was top ten and decided freezing and nothing in the tank wasn't good and retired to watch.
The amount of food was amazing. Six kinds of chili. Cornbread. Homemade sourdough bread. PB and J, Belgian beers.
Racers were well fed and happy. It was cool to see spectators walking around with bowls of chili on that fine Belgian day. Cheering ,clanging their bells and eating.
Awards were well recieved. Money, Hats, Road Id gifts and homemade trophies.
I know Dave was smiling. I sure was.
I just want to celebrate.
States are next.
OGQ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day. Congrats on a fine tribute to your friend!