Sunday, July 06, 2008





































So I was harassed yesterday about not keeping the blog up to date. I try.
















My summer vacation started in a frenzy. I had the V-Strom loaded up and ready to roll to Pittsburgh for a date,beer and food tour. Not to mention a straight razor shave. All arranged by my date,Vince. What a itinerary he had planned for us. Not to mention a rendezvous with Mom and my sister.








With the Strom pointed west and typical July weather on the horizon. Away I went on an adventure. Just west of Corning it started to rain. A warm soft rain. I had the "armadillo suit" on so I was comfortable. But, no one wants to ride in the rain all day. After an hour it quit. I'd settled into a pattern of 80-90 mph and some would still pass me. A quick pit on the edge of Salamanca for gas and fluids. I should try a camelbak on the rides. Back on the road. RT 79 seemed endless. Then the trip through Butler where every red light was 500 feet apart and not synchronized at all I arrived at Vince's' none the worse for wear a little thirsty. He'd procured a case of Ommegang Witte for the weekend.








We headed into "Picksburgh" to go the Church Brew works. Beer snobs mark this as a must do.
Iron City was right across the street. Good and Evil, Black and white?
A huge old church we're if you had a Catholic upbringing you have a moment of guilt and wonder? "Should I be drinking in a church?". This quickly passes as you read the beer menu. We went with the sampler and the very cute beer maven gave us the other two tap samples with it. For eight 6oz samples. A chorizo quesadilla and hummus for appetizers. Some tasty brews. Odd, I liked the lager best. Hefe next. The coconut stout was a bit odd. This was followed by a trip to Sushi Too for may favorite,tuna, octopus , eel, eel roe and some hot tuna rolls. A East Brewing beer to pair with it. More bliss. We went up above Pitts for the scenic view. There was a Smart car there. 21K for a car that runs on premium? Not too smart. Ride your bike.

Day two had us headed to The Stone House Barber shop for a haircut and a straight razor shave.
Now I've had a beard or some sort of facial hair for 27 years. Clean shaven is not my M.O. But I've always appreciated rituals and a straight razor shave is one I wanted to experience. Nothing like a little pampering. Nervous? No way. He nicked me a few times and I broke out in a few places for the revealing of a baby face. Vince told me I looked less "Severe". I'm not sure that's a compliment or not,then another friend said the same thing. Hmmm, maybe i use that teacher look too often. So I'll keep it off for awhile. Shaving is a pain in the ass. At least razors have progressed. But that's another posting about first adopters and exclusives.

So with a new look we headed back to Picksburgh to visit the Sharp Edge and attend the Belgian Brewfest. Arriving early as per my norm. We opted for a bit of lunch and a beer. I had an ostrich burger and frites. Vince had a Belgian burger and frites. Both were excellent as was my Hefe. The frites were so so. But the spicy aolli was superb.

Time for the tastings they had a hundred beers to sample. My Omme shirt drew in conversation as many patrons ahd heard of it but never had it. I represented and told them to have their local distributor get it for them. Had a great time talking with the other patrons. Near Mid-west friendliness. The best of show was Piraat,the worst was Kasteel Rouge. That was evil on tap. I won one of the raffles scoring a beer bucket and glasses from a Russian Brewery. We ended up trading shirts and he gave me some product. As we left the festival and were maybe 200 ft from the fest. We were accosted by the police and someone from the brewpub.

"Where did you get that beer?" Me. inside,he gave it to me. Them. " You stole it!" Me, excuse me? Vince is now worried there maybe an altercation. I said it's not open I can be here. Back and forth it went. The cop was cool. The other guy was adamant. So I gave him back a few bottles as I slid one in the trunk. ODD. No arrest,our reputations intact, we went back in a for a bite to eat as food was extra at the fest. Had some laughs with Todd and Gabriella, Vince's friends. After sobering up a bit we headed home. Enjoyed a night cap of a Witte in the "Tuscan room".

The Tour of Pa was in town. But never made it . Weather was tough for them. Today was Rendezvous with the family. Weird, I go to Pitt to see my Mom from Florida. Shopping for groceries and cooking are the order of the day. Coffee rubbed tenderloins,black bean soup, corn. A variety of cheeses for appetizers. Wine and beers were poured. Vince started with beer and switched to wine. Dropped this little nugget. My Mom always said " Never mix the grain and the grape" I had to agree. A nice evening in the Tuscan room despite the storm.






Monday we took Mom to airport after a filling breakfast at Pamelas' diner. A fifties style diner. Where they're known for lyonaised home fries. Tasty. Our waitress had the hot rod 50's chick thing going with some cool old school sailor ink on her arms. After getting Om on the plain we headed back to the food district. The markets were very cool and I could do that if I lived in the city. Ditch the car. Be urban,slow the pace.

We then stopped in Tarentum to hit the Bicycle/Motorcycle shop. Gattos. Now this palce took and old YMCA and made a MC/bike shop along with a diner and a pre-requisite HD shop. The Gattos own the town business. Never seen anything like it. The bike shop was so so. The MC was well stocked and even old bikes to look at. The HD part who cares? No bro huggin' for me.

Back at the house more fun cooking and eating a few beers sampled.
Tomorrow would me an suiting up an heading home from five days of adventure. What a trip.
It was overwhelming all that was packed into that short time frame. Thanks, Vince
Where will all this take me?




For the return ride home I chose a more two lane itinerary. Worked out well a couple detours. But about the same time,time wise. The Strom and I enjoyed the hills and turns.
How do Smoke on the Water and Joy to the World get stuck in your head?

Whats on the Ipod now? James McMurtry and Keb Mo.
On the bike side the Dillinger got upgraded to the carbon fork. Light stiff precise. But not the cush of steel. More riding today.
Enjoy life. I am more than ever. A klean shaven. OGQ
















1 comment:

dfwteddy1955@yahoo.com said...

Great blog entry!