Tuesday, March 13, 2007


Yesterday cock of the walk. Today just a raggedy man. That's Tina Turner's line in Beyond Thunderdome. That was me on Sunday. I'm cleared to ride. So Henk, Bobber and I headed out in a balmy 35 degrees for our first road ride of the year(truly mine). We laughed as Henk pointed out "WE made the first hill!" A bump in the road. So Henks on the mtb, I'm on the BattleStar, Bobber on the Dale'. We rolled along 79 enjoying the sunshine. No hammerfest. Just spin a high cadence. The long climb up Rt 11 felt good. Don't bump the rev limiter,just ride.

It was good to be alive. As we approached Front st it all came out, Henk pulled to bridge and I took over to get Bob to the line. Fun,pure and simple.

So the next day I decided to do the RUUD team road ride. Right off the bat,up we go. Glad I switched cassettes. Legs sluggish. A dark 32 degrees. I kept getting dropped on the hills. Frustrating? You bet. But,I had to reming myself that,I couldn't even walk under three months ago. Up 26 the paceline formed into the wind. I didn't have here either. Normally I love these Belgian days. At the climb Henk and I decided it was best to turn around. So we figured a tailwind. WRONG. DEAD WRONG! It took forever to get to Endicott. I really had to pee. So A Subway was first up. I clattered across the floor used the facilities. Then was acosted by the manager. "You can't just come in here and use the toilet". I cold tired and noth thinking fast.

I should have said "Well I was going to get in line after I used the restroom. But in this case, NO.

I waved and walked out. By the end I was a raggedy man. 37 miles today.

So today I called into PT and said I'm skipping you guys. It's sunny and 60. Let's see PT vs a ride outside. A nice 25 miles. A good cool down spin. A dumb grin on my face as I rode home. Priceless.

A pic from the infamous day. Ididn't get any beer that weekend.

No comments: