Sunday, August 28, 2011

Like anyone after a break up,I'm having good days and bad. My friends brighten my days. But when I'm not busy things creep into my head. I need to look forward focus and move on.Kross is in sight and the legs are coming.
This will be part two of the Kali vacation.


Riding the Santa Barbara area was incredible form the mountains to the club rides. My first club ride was at 7am. All rides seemed to start that early. There were 4 groups of 20 to 40 cyclist. I picked what I thought would be my group. As with any group "your legs" decide. So out we rolled. Bang 26/27 mph no talking. Hmmm. I'll sit in the middle. Then the first hill hit and it explode. I wasn't ready for this. But we regrouped at the top. I was beat. Travel time,time change ? Who knows. I decide to go back with the group that was turning around. Bang again the attacks came one after another. In the end we did 54 miles at 24.4 mph faster than my races at home.
That evening walking around town an electric utility bike caught my eye. As we were looking at the owner introduced himself (Dave Letierri) and we talked bikes. I told him about the ride. He smiled. He then invited me to ride with his group Tuesday morning. cool, I'll be there. Then spinning the next day. I met a guy and said who he was. He was, "Dude that guy is badass." What? Turns out
he was a pro and Olympian and Lance's mechanic at the tour. Great guy. He owns Fastrack Bicycles in SB.
His shop was super cool.
So I show up for his ride. Introduced all around friendly group. We headed out for the "hills". Turns out we were going to go climb  all of the mountain I rode half of the day before. Up to painted cave we went.  54 minutes up,18 down. Saw a rattlesnake without it's head and tail. Talismans?
We did the ride and had a coffee. Thanks Dave. He also gave us lots of local advice.

Our travels took us to Venice beach. Counter culture to the hilt. Did see the muscle guys. But Mills and I had to dip a toe in the ocean. Venice beach brewing was the choice for lunch. Their motto was "You don't have to eat crappy for here."
Did a little hat shopping here.
I got a haircut to help the homeless. Pretty cool. Betty Page girls cutting hair right on the beach.
Lots of interesting panhandlers here on the beach. Lots of vendors that were pro weed. Some good street musicians and college kids just goofing on people. A big change from the polished presence of Santa Monica.

In homage to the Jetta was this Mazda. Art or housing?







Our next adventure took us to the Hearst Castle. This was truly fun. It was easy to just lose your self in the  beauty of it all. The pool was amazing. They dug it up three times to just redo it.

OK kids. That's enough for today. Getting kind of blurry here.
So eat good food,drink good beer and ride your bike. OGQ



No comments: