Monday, October 25, 2010

Snake Farm, that's what the tire choice has turned into. But only one snake rises to the surface.
Michelin Muds. The chosen ones stayed on the Pride.
Country Mouse and jaunty mouse made the trek to Syracuse. Now this course is either fast and dry or muddy. Today it was muddy again. Early rains and morning dew made it a bit sloppy.
Following Coach Mayhew's advice. I went for a good start but not the holeshot. Out of nowhere mark Shenstone zooms by. Can't have this. Then in an uphill right hander I hit the gas to cut inside and wheelie turn this corner almost lose it. But kept the gas on and blasted by two people. We hit the road and Mark Williams comes by. I jump on his wheel,but he is flying. So settle in and get the rhythm.Then crank it back up. Damn that was hard. But I card the win in the 55 plus. I am wasted,nothing in the tank. Roll around with the empty eyes and shoot a gel at the car. i have twenty minutes of recovery. Feel a bit better. Line up and the legs aren't there. I do two laps and pull the plug. Why dig a big hole? Usually the double is my turning point. But I guess Omme was.
We hit the Dinosaur Barbecue for post ride grub and beers. Mission accomplished.


Double up Buttercup.

Red Cross and the Cross Fire challenge were on the plate for this weekend. City mouse was in town and Jaunty is a big supporter. Nice having a race so close.
Last year Red Cross was a rain soaked epic quagmire of a race.
This year it was cool and dry and warming up. It had rained the day before so the early races were a bit slippy.
AJ pulled a big holeshot in the masters I slotted in around fifth in the first turn. I knew Bill would be tough. So tried to pull the advantage where I thought I had it. I had the gap. Mark and Bill were chasing hard. I'd gone up on tire pressure to avoid flats there. The front wasn't quite as solid as I liked in the turns but it wasn't bottoming out. Then I slid out and got tangled in the tape. Damn. This closed the gap for Bill. People were cheering us both. Then he attacked on the run ,but I got him. Was holding him at bay with one to go. he made a smart move as a lapper impeded me in the barriers. I jumped right back on him. Tried for the pass going in the tunnel,then we bumped I had to get both feet out. Time lost. Stay close. Figuring the place to pass was in the long  off camber if I could stay close. But he nipped me. A good race. But.


Sunday brought the second annual Cross Fire Challenge. A low key fun event. Teeter totters on the barriers. Not your average Kross. as Tim O'shea said "Any race is hard".
The plan today was give it my all. Haven't doubled back to back days in awhile. Last year Glenn said at the start "Our job is to catch all the open men". I told Paul this.( I caught all but four) Then the goal was get the holeshot and turn the screws, I did it. The first time up the hill I wasn't so sure about my legs. But what the hell. Then they loosened up and I hit the gas wherever I could. The gap grew,now I wanted out of sight out of mind.Come on little legs. They did it. The mice were cheering. AJ was telling me. You've done rule one and two concentrate on rule three. Only one bobble on the last lap as I pushed a line. job done, punch the sky. Felt great in the end.
City mouse made a veggie chili for the apres ride activities. Corn muffins too. Lots of good food, a curry, a pumpkin chili. Nice breads and desserts.
Thanks Pat and Marsha for hosting the Dirty Little Klub. All the cool kids were there.
I was glad City mouse got to see me win.


This weekend States looms. Weather looks to be cool and clear. A bit of fine tuning and the point will be sharpened. Then it's onto race promotion.
Eat good food, drink good beer, ride your bike. Love the one you're with. OGQ

Snake Farm by Ray Wylie Hubbard

Well a woman I love is named Ramona


She kinda looks like Tempest Storm

And she can dance like little Egypt

She works down at the snake farm





Chorus:



Snake Farm – it just sounds nasty

Snake Farm – well it pretty much is

Snake Farm – it's a reptile house

Snake Farm – Uuuggghhhhh......





Well Ramona's got a keen sense of humor

She got a tattoo down her arm

It's of a python eatin' a little mouse

Wearin' a sailor hat that says snake farm



Chorus



I asked Ramona how come she works there

She says it's got it's charms

Nothing to do in the winter

Now and then some kid gets bit at the snake farm



Chorus



Well Ramona likes her malt liquor

And a band from Wales thats called The Alarm

She said she cried when they broke up

She still plays their records at the snake farm



Chorus



Sometimes Ramona calls me up

And says come on down here, it's getting warm

She runs everybody off

And we...you know...it's a snake farm



Chorus



Chorus

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool photo at the top of the blog!