Monday, August 04, 2008





Coming from a motocross background. I learned most people hate mud. I learned to turn this into an advantage. My biggest nemesis back then was there we no real systems(unlike roll offs today) to keep your goggles clean other than to grab the holeshot and run away with it.


Pops and I headed to The Highland Forest Classic. I would have loved to race the 29'er. But have found the Exiwolfs in a 2.5 really don't like the mud and I've never really fretted a tire choice. Find one that works and ride it. So I packed the Dillinger and Hooligan. As we neared the race site you could tell it had really rained there. The promoter was explaining course changes due to mud. The choice was simple. The Hooligan.


We warmed up and to be truthful,my training has taken a big hit along with my riding. I'm more of a A- rider now. I can hang at some club races,get dropped at others. I do my share of work and try to attack etc. So with a long road/doubletrack start I lined up on the front row of the 40/50+ took the holeshot and bumped it up near the rev limiter. About two thirds of the way up my team mate Gregg passed me in the steep part. I glued myself to him knowing he would have trouble with the mud. Sure enough,he went to move over and crashed. Now my goal was runaway and hide from the other 50+ guys. The course had lots of off cambers and was slippery. but this is mountain biking. A few climbs I had to run. So settled into a good rhythm. No one came up and started to catch the 30+. Same strategy for the next lap. Turns out I caught all the 30+ except the winner. The Hooligan rocked.


The promoters had Magic Hat and Orlio Organic brewing there. So they had samples and hooked me up with three six packs. I got a nice workstand for the win. The Ommegansters racked up two class wins and a 4th in the 30 plus.


One guy had the right idea. He brought his bike on his bike. Now I've toyed with this idea for awhile. But he approached it from the low tech end. It worked.


Jeff and Katina were there along with Jeff's ever supportive parents. How cool is that? Here you are in your 40's and your parents come and watch you race. They cheer for me too. Thanks. Good people. Katina got an earful about my life lately. Her friend was wide eyed as I described the ONEGEARQUEER BLOG to her. Now she said she had to approve of it.


She won her class too. Congrats.


Maybe a little fixed riding tonight. Clean the legs out.


Like the shirt says. "Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park".


Enjoy life, I sure am OGQ

No comments: